seguici su

Cellina River Stories between Ravedis and Partidor

7 - Panoramic Viewpoint

It is a privileged viewpoint even for a fast drawing: there’s a practical stand where to put your sheet of paper.




The little parking area with its drinking water fountain is the meeting point of a nice road axis, mainly for bicycles, which goes from San Foca up to Montereale Valcellina or, vice versa, from Montereale down to San Foca (be careful: traffic in the segment from this area up north is banned until the intersection with road SR251). This road axis reaches San Leonardo through Via Partidor, and the last part of the route is unpaved and ends south. The panoramic viewpoint is privileged and comprehensive: from there we can perfectly see the mountains, from the Cansiglio on the west to the Julian Alps on the east. The wide view on the white gravel of the Cellina river, which introduces the morainic hills, also reaches the Friulian plain, which is dotted of lights at night. Closer to the viewpoint are the fields, still characterized by the presence of bushes to separate crops. Very charming is also the silence of this place.


The basin was the first part ever built of the Partidor Power Plant, which became operational in 1919. The basin collected the water coming from the power plants upstream – the ones in Malnisio (1905) and in Giais (1908) – which was supposed to be discharged back into the Cellina river, and brought it to the Partidor Power Plant through an underground pressure pipe. After the three power plants of Malnisio, Giais and Partidor were closed in 1989, the basin was abandoned and little by little it was covered by plants. However, recently a group of volunteers of an association of recreational fishing has brought it back to its original aspect, but changing its purpose.

L. Zin, Il torrente Cellina e la diga di Ravedis. Cento anni di opere per l'utilizzo delle risorse idriche e la difesa del suolo, Pordenone, Consorzio di Bonifica Cellina Meduna, 2014.



The toponym Partidor, already used in the late 1500s, has been used to refer to different but close places near the information pillar. Etymologically speaking, it seems to refer to the function of partitore (divider), that is to say the point in which the water in a canal is divided into various branches. In fact, right in the Partidor area, a new canal was built starting from the Aviano canal. It was called at first “Cava di San Marco” and then “Brentella.” It was mainly used to drive logs from the woods of the Cellina Valley (Valcellina) to the “Musil” in Porcia.
The Partidor area has long been known both for the so called ford “della Cossana,” also used by the Romans, and because in the floodplain area underneath, on the former skeet shooting field, ran two important canals: the Aviano canal and the “Brentellotto Correr” canal, named after its owners. The Brentellotto canal diverted from the Aviano canal and paralleled it. It was aimed at bypassing the 15th century sawmill, siega de soto, not to interrupt its activity and allowing the log driving to be constant. Unfortunately, the only thing remaining of the canals and plants are: the rearranged sawmill warehouse and segments of the canals, which have been incorporated to the short-used skeet shooting field. In the early 1900s, the construction of the Malnisio Hydroelectric Power Plant completely changed this network of canals, and the factories that used them were abandoned. There is another figure that is strictly connected to the Partidor: the passador, the strong man who carried travellers and their luggage from one side to the other of the ford, trusting their souls to God and crossing the river. This was a job that has been done here until the late 1800s.
L. Zin, Il Cellina, 2, Pordenone, Consorzio di Bonifica "Cellina-Meduna", 1997.