seguici su

Cellina River Stories between Ravedis and Partidor

5 - Giulio

For the whole 20th century, it has been one of the most important roads of the northern province of Pordenone. And before that, it was a place where water flowed both free and domesticated.





The iron bridge with five arches is held up by brickwork pillars and connects Maniago to Montereale, leaping over the Cellina river and the Aviano and Vivaro canals, which were on opposite shores. Today’s aspect is the result of renovations with respect to the original design, which dates back to 1875. These changes have been necessarily implemented after the river flood of 1877. The flooding compromised part of the structure under construction, so that engineers had to redesign the bridge, taking into account the possibility of other floods. The new bridge was inaugurated on 15 July 1888. It was damaged during the Second World War. In 1990, the bridge was strengthen with huge iron crossbeams from pier to pier to increase its capacity load.
La porta della Valcellina. Montereale Valcellina, Grizzo, Malnisio, San Leonardo Valcellina, appunti di viaggio, a cura di Patrizio De Mattio, Montereale Valcellina, Comune di Montereale Valcellina, 2003.
Ricordi Maniago e dintorni. Inaugurazione del Ponte Giulio sul Cellina 15 luglio 1888, disegni dal vero di F. Fruscalzo, [S. l.], Società Cooperativa Veneta, 1888.
L. Zin, Il Cellina, 2, Pordenone, Consorzio di Bonifica "Cellina-Meduna", 1997.


FAELLI'S PORT (ruins of the building)

What remains of Faelli’s port is just the ruins of the supervisor’s building and the adjacent lime kiln at the centre of the gravel screening plant. The port started working in the mid 1800s, thanks to the timber merchant Antonio Faelli. Actually it was a small artificial basin adjacent to the canal. It was created embanking part of the floodplain with water inlets and outlets and was used for the landing, resting and control of the borre: less than two-meter long tree trunks. The logs were cut in the mountain woods and taken to the valley by log driving, first through the Cellina river and then, after the logs had been a little processed, through the Aviano and the Brentella canals until reaching Porcia. There, the logs were uploaded into barges (flat-bottomed ships), then transported to the Adriatic Sea and to Venice navigating through the Noncello and Livenza rivers. Along the route to Porcia there were 9 resting stations, namely landing places and ports.
Not far from the information pillar, we can find the sluice gate (with small vertical cavities where the bulkhead slid) and the underpass tunnel of the Aviano canal. Upstream the road embankment there was Zatti’s port (similar and contemporary to Faelli’s port). Unfortunately there’s no trace of it anymore.

L. Zin, Il Cellina, 2, Pordenone, Consorzio di Bonifica "Cellina-Meduna", 1997.



The still operating plant covers a wide dirt area near the Cellina river. Compared to the similar upstream plant, here the gravel processing cycle is completely visible: from the arrival of the excavated material to its screening. We can also see the piled up grit and, on the sides, the waste material.